Many of us are under the impression that one “must” drink white wine with fish, or that red meat equals red wine; but it’s so wrong.
When it comes to food and wine pairings, you should really go with whatever suits you and your palate. Some folk just don’t like white wine and it can set off some tannin allergies.
This said, there are certain pairings that should not be missed.
These special combinations make both the food and wine greater than the sum of their parts. Granny Mouse Country House & Spa culinary artists, took time to create some quintessential food recipes that can be paired with red wine – and these work so well!
Smoked Salmon and Goat’s Cheese Soufflé paired with Louisvale Stone Road Cinsault Rose 2020.
· 40g butter
· 25g plain flour
· 300ml milk
· 85g soft goat’s cheese
· 2tsp chopped dill
· 3 large eggs, separated
· 85g smoked salmon
· Zest of ½ a lemon
· Put the butter, flour and milk in a pan.
· Cook on gentle heat until it begins to thicken.
· Stir in the cheese in small spoonful’s before adding the dill.
· Season to taste
· Pre heat the oven to 200°C.
· Butter 6 soufflé dishes and line the base with baking paper.
· Stir the egg yolks into the sauce; add the chopped salmon and lemon.
· Whisk the egg whites until stiff, and then carefully fold into the mix.
· Spoon into the dishes and bake in a tin filled with cold water for 15 min until risen and golden.
· Cool and don’t worry if they sink.
· Serves 6
Venison Burger with Biltong Spiced Cheese paired with Louisvale Stone Road 2019 Shiraz
· 1kg Venison mince
· ½ Onion, finely chopped
· 1 Egg
· 1tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
· 1tsp Cumin
· ¼ cup Bread Crumbs
· 8 Rashers Bacon
· 8 thin slices of biltong infused cheese or a smoked cheddar
· Combine the mince, breadcrumbs, onions, egg, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, salt, pepper & bread crumbs in a bowl until all the ingredients are well mixed.
· Divide into 4 before moulding, then wrap individually with cling wrap.
· Chill overnight to allow the mixture to form and hold.
· On medium flame, place the patties onto a grill together with the bacon.
· Turn the Pattie over once the bottom has turned golden brown and comes away from the grill without any fighting.
· Place the bacon together with one slice of cheese on top of the Pattie and cook to your desired temperature.
· To build your burger, place some lettuce, tomatoes, sliced gherkins & a slice of cheese.
· Lay the burger Pattie on this and enjoy.
· Serves 4
Venison Fillet with Pistachio Puree with Honey and Lemon paired with Louisvale Stone Road 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon
· 400g venison fillet
· 50g risotto rice
· 1 pinch of Cajun spice
· 1l water
· 100g potatoes, peeled and chopped
· 100ml cream
· 50g milk
· 50g honey
· 10g lemon juice
· 5g mustard
· 10g pistachio nuts, shelled, coarsely chopped
· For the rice chips: put 1L of water and a pinch of salt.
· Bring up to a boil, add the rice.
· Lower the heat, and gently simmer for 1 hour.
· Pre heat the oven to 65°C.
In other news – Update: Hundreds of members gather outside Church in disbelief over Prophet TB Joshua’s death – Photos
The world woke up to the sad news of the death of a well-known ‘man of God’, Prophet TB Joshua who according to his social media platforms passed away moments after a church service.
From an Instagram post on his page, it is written: “PROPHET TB JOSHUA – JUNE 12th 1963 to JUNE 5th 2021. “Surely the Sovereign LORD does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets.” – Amos 3:7. On Saturday 5th June 2021, Prophet TB Joshua spoke during the Emmanuel TV Partners Meeting: Learn More
The post Granny’s recipe guide to pairing & sharing with red wine! appeared first on News365.co.za.