An easy, one-pot healthy chicken and rice recipe that will totally take the stress out of midweek cooking.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 800g/1lb 12oz bone-in chicken thighs (approximately 4 large chicken thighs)
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 250g/9oz basmati or long-grain rice
- 600ml/1 pint chicken stock
- large handful chopped dill, plus extra to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Heat the oil in a large lidded, ovenproof, casserole. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 10–12 minutes, until golden on all sides. Remove to a warm plate and pour off all but a tablespoon of the cooking juices from the pan. Add the onion, garlic and carrots to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until soft and golden.
- Stir in the cumin seeds, paprika and rice and toss well. Add the stock, season, and bring to the boil. Cook gently, stirring, for 5 minutes until the rice is no longer soupy but not dry. Stir in the dill and season well.
- Sit the chicken thighs on top of the rice, cover with a lid and transfer the pan to the oven for 20–25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender. Fork through the rice, sprinkle with extra chopped dill and serve.