This delicious dessert is so good you won’t even notice that it is sugar-free. Each layer is packed full of flavour.
Being health conscious is very important in today’s time. This classic custard slice replaces the sugar with sweetener and honey. The passion fruit topping adds a extra layer of decadence.
Once you have tried this custard slice recipe it will be become a favourite.
Custard Slice Recipe
- 100 g full cream milk powder
- 1 litre of water
- 6 sachets sweetener
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup of cornflour (maizena)
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 packet Cream Crackers
- 250 g smooth cream cheese
- 3 granadilla, cut in half and pulp removed
- 6 egg yolks
- 15cm x 25cm dish of your choice
- Separate egg yolks from white.
-Break crackers in halves and place on the bottom of the dish. Set aside.
- Keep 1/2 cup water aside, heat up the remaining water. Add milk powder. Keep on low heat whisking continuously
-Add vanilla essence and remove from heat. Cool for 5 min.
- Add egg yolks, half a cup water, cornflour and flour in a bowl, mix until thick and smooth. Add some of the milk to egg yolk mixture and mix until smooth.
- Add the remaining milk and whisk continuously. Return to very low heat and keep on stirring until thickened. Add the 4 sachets sweetener and honey. If you would like it sweeter, add one more sweetener.
-When the mixture is thick and difficult stir you know its ready.
- Pour the custard mixture onto the crackers and spread evenly.
-Place another layer of cream crackers on top of the custard mixture. Set aside.
- Add one tablespoon milk and two sachets sweetener to the cream cheese and whisk with a fork.
-Spread cream cheese evenly on top of biscuits.
-Lastly, spread granadilla pulp on top with a spoon.
Recipe by Irene Muller