- 10ml – olive oil
- 30ml – balsamic vinegar
- 1 – beef stock cube
- 45ml – water
- 5ml – paprika
- 2 – onions, finely chopped
- – salt and pepper
- 45ml – sherry
- 125ml – plain full-cream yoghurt
- 15ml – peri-peri sauce
- 200g – canned chopped tomatoes
- 200-300g – chicken livers, halved
- 300g – shell pasta
- – plain full-cream yoghurt
- 1 – bay leaf
- 200g – white mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 5ml – finely chopped garlic
1. In a large pot, fry the onions and garlic in the oil until the onions have softened. Add the chicken livers and cook until they’re browned, then remove and set aside.
2. Add the mushrooms, bay leaf, tomatoes, water, peri-peri sauce, paprika and 30ml (2T) of the sherry and stir. Crumble the stock cube into the mixture, season with salt and pepper and simmer for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from the heat, return the livers to the pot and stir in the balsamic vinegar and the balance of the sherry. Set aside to allow the flavours to develop.
4. In the same pot (there’s no need to clean it as any residual pieces only add flavour to the pasta), add the pasta shells and sufficient boiling water to cover the pasta. Bring to the boil and cook until al dente.
5. Drain any residual water from the pasta, add the chicken livers and combine well, ensuring the livers are heated through. Stir the yoghurt through and garnish with the parsley.