This hearty bean stew is full of flavour and very easy to make – perfect for a midweek supper.
For the sausage and bean casserole
150ml/5fl oz olive oil
8 Italian pork sausages (available in most supermarkets or good delis)
4 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
2 cloves garlic, cut in quarters
1 tsp finely chopped dried chilli
4 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
4 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 x 400g/14oz tinned borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
2 x 400g/14oz tinned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
salt to taste
400ml/14fl oz boiling water
20 cherry tomatoes, halved
For the garlic bread
crusty bread of your choice
extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic
- For the casserole, in a large saucepan, heat the olive oil until hot. Shallow fry the sausages, rosemary, garlic and the chilli for one minute.
- Add the carrots and celery and fry for a further three minutes.
- Add the borlotti and cannellini beans and season with salt.
- Add the boiling water, cover with a lid and leave to simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes. Remove the lid, remove the sausages and cut into three pieces.
- Place the sausages back in the casserole with the cherry tomatoes and carry on cooking without the lid on a low heat for another 10 minutes allowing the sauce to thicken.
- For the garlic bread, slice the bread approximately 2cm/¾in thick. Brush with extra virgin olive oil and place on a hot griddle until both sides are crusty. Once ready, rub the garlic over the warm bread. Serve the garlic bread immediately with the casserole.
Source: BBC FOODS