A slow cooker beef stew recipe you’ll make time and time again – no browning required! We’ve added a little orange peel, black olives, bay and red wine for a Provençal flavour.
- 500g/1lb 2oz braising steak, cut into 2cm/1in chunks
- 150ml/5fl oz red wine
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 strip orange peel
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 100g/3½oz smoked bacon lardons
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- handful black olives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the beef into a large bowl with the red wine, peeled garlic cloves, sliced onions, orange peel and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and give it all a stir. Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight if cooking in the morning.
- In the morning, add the olive oil to the bottom of the slow cooker with the bacon lardons. Tip half the beef and its marinade into the slow cooker. Add in the carrots, then tip the rest of the beef on top. Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 8-10 hours.
- When ready to serve, stir in the chopped parsley and black olives. Serve the slow cooker beef stew with creamy mash or rice.
Source: BBC FOODS