This Spicy Mexican-style bean burger is full of flavour and texture and a great meat-free option for barbecues. If you like less heat, leave out the pickled jalapeños.
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 red pepper, cored, seeds removed, finely chopped
2 fresh green jalapeño peppers, seeds removed, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
400g/14oz tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (240g/9oz drained weight)
250g/9oz cooked Puy lentils (freshly cooked and drained or a pouch)
1-cal olive oil spray
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
100ml/3½fl oz reduced-fat soured cream or dairy-free yoghurt
2 tsp chipotle in adobo
4 wholemeal burger buns, split
2 tomatoes, thickly sliced
1 ripe avocado, halved, thinly sliced
12 pickled jalapeño peppers
8–12 Little Gem lettuce leaves
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the red pepper and fresh jalapeños and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the spices, season generously with salt and cook for a further minute. Take off the heat.
- Pat the kidney beans dry, then tip them into a food processor and add the onion mixture. Pulse to combine, retaining some texture. Transfer to a large bowl and mix in the lentils and some salt and pepper.
- With wet hands divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape into patties. Lay them on a plate and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Heat a frying pan over a high heat. Once hot, spray the surface with oil, then add the patties. Cook for 2 minutes on each side, spraying with a little more oil before you turn them. Transfer the patties to a baking tray and cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the soured cream and chipotle together. Place the burger buns, cut side up, under a hot grill for 1–2 minutes until lightly toasted. Spread each side of the burger buns with chipotle soured cream. Place the bean burgers on the bottom half and top with tomato, avocado, jalapeños and lettuce. Sandwich together with the bun lids to serve.
Source: BBC FOODS