A comforting classic, this easy potato soup uses a handful of store cupboard ingredients to great effect for making the Best Potato soup.
- 55g/2oz butter
- 425g/15oz potatoes, peeled and diced to 5mm/1/3in
- 110g/4oz onions, diced
- 900ml/1½pt home-made chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 120ml/4fl oz creamy milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly chopped herbs to garnish (optional)
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. When it foams, add the potatoes and onions and toss them in the butter until well coated.
- Sprinkle with salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cover with a butter wrapper or paper lid and the lid of the saucepan. Sweat on a gentle heat for approximately 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the stock to the boil. When the vegetables are soft but not coloured add the boiling stock and continue to cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the milk and purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve sprinkled with a few freshly chopped herbs or some of the following garnishes.