This Slow Cooker Three Bean Stew is one heck of a hearty stew with clean-out-your-pantry ingredients like canned tomatoes and canned beans uniting in a spice and cocoa flavored broth!
- 1 14.5 oz can roasted tomatoes
- 1 10 oz can tomatoes and chilies
- 1 12 oz can tomato paste
- 4.5 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 cups dry, uncooked mung beans/cow peas
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- Olive Oil
- 1 15.25 oz can black beans
- 1 15.5 oz can garbanzo beans/chick peas
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
- Add roasted tomatoes, tomatoes with chilies, tomato paste, vegetable stock, mung beans and garlic to a slow cooker and turn it on high an cover for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, add garam masala to a small frying pan and roast over a low flame, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. When it begins to smell a bit more pungent, take it off the stove and add it into the contents of the slow cooker.
- Then, add some olive oil to the same frying pan and add the onions to it. Let the onions caramelize over a low flame, stirring often – when well caramelized (about 20-25 minutes) add it to the slow cooker as well.
- Also at this point, add in the cocoa, chickpeas and black beans. Place the lid on and let it cook.
- When it’s done, turn the slow cooker onto low for another hour and then this Slow Cooker Three Bean Stew With Cocoa is ready to enjoy.